Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Cracker Barrels at NSU


The Aberdeen Area Chamber of Commerce's Government Affairs Committee will be hosting four Legislative Cracker Barrels in 2015.  The Cracker Barrels will run from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm in the Centennial Rooms on the NSU campus. The sessions run from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm. The dates are:
  • Saturday, January 24th
  • Saturday, February 7th
  • Saturday, February 21st
  • Saturday, March 7th
I'd very much like all of my History 121 students to attend at least one of these sessions, and I'll give extra credit to any of you who do attend and add a comment or two here. What did you find most interesting at the Cracker Barrel session?  How would you tie the Cracker Barrel session to the Henry Parkes' "big three" essentials of civilization (physical security, ethical guidance, and emotional fulfillment)? 

3 comments:

  1. I was really surprised by how much I actually enjoyed attending the Cracker Barrel Session. The issue concerning education really stuck out to me since I plan on majoring in math education. I also found the issue concerning cyclists and the 3ft or 12ft rule very interesting as well. In both situations, we see how the legislature cares for us and our needs. I believe that the "big three" essentials were found just even in the two topics that I talked about above.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I attended the cracker barrel on Saturday February 7th. I liked the atmosphere and the over all meeting a lot more than I thought I would. The problem that stood out most to me was a problem with a new veteran bill that said people who served under 90 days was still considered a vet. A man arose and said that he thought it was ridicules that was even being considered because he knew the men that only lasted 90 days and it was cause they were not fit to serve and the army wanted them out. This was just one of the many concerns brought up. I will defiantly attend the next cracker barrel and am looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I attended the cracker barrel on Saturday February 21st. There were many topics brought up for discussion, but the ones discussed the most were the youth minimum wage bill, the veterans bill (1179), the carrying a gun without a license bill (1116), and the issue of common core. It was nice to hear from Dan Kaiser on the issue of bill 1179 since he is a veteran who served in a combat zone. I like going to these sessions because it helps me to stay more informed about what South Dakota is doing right and what we should change/improve.

    ReplyDelete