Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Get Involved II

More opportunities to get involved with learning the fun way--through the arts.  It would be great to see students taking advantage of the following opportunities:

1.  Thursday night (3/19), Lawrence Diggs will be hosting a reception for an "Inner Inmate" display of prison art and poetry.  You can drop in anytime between 6:30-9 PM.  The reception will be in the Aberdeen Recreation and Cultural Center (Old Central High School), 225 SE Third Ave., Aberdeen, SD 57401.

2.  Also Thursday, NSU Jazz bands will be performing at the Civic Theater (also located at Old Central).  Wonderful music starting at 7:30 p.m.

3.  Saturday (3/21) at 7:30, Marla Fogderud will hold a recital in Krikac auditorium.  The theme is "Tales of Life and Love." 

4.  Sunday (3/22)  at 3:00, Nicole Merriman and Tina Aschenman will hold their senior recital in Krikac auditorium.

5.  Wednesday (4/15) at 3:00, Nicole Merriman will present her honors thesis in Krikac Auditorium

6.  Sunday (4/19) at 3:00, the NSU choir will be presenting spiritual and gospel songs at First Presbyterian Church.

7.  If you attended Dr. Wachs' presentation or Bach's Lunch (on Wednesday 3/18), you can get extra credit for either one of those. 

To claim your 1-2 extra credit points, click on the "comment" link below and note which event you went to and describe that event.  Did it do anything to provide you with ethical guidance and/or emotional fulfillment?

  

7 comments:

  1. I went to Wachs gets what he deserves. His book sounds interesting -Adam Geist

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed playing my repertoire at my senior recital! Perhaps I can get a point of extra credit for it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was able to perform in the jazz concert playing bari saxophone and it was a lot of fun! I also attended Nicole and Tina's senior recital and it was wonderful to watch. They did an excellent job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to nicole merrimans honors thesis/recital. I enjoyed learning about Janacek and the music he composed. She went in depth about the topics that influenced his composing and how he incorporated those things into the music. Definitely the type of thing I would enjoy attending again. I would say it provided me some emotional fulfillment in hearing and understanding some truly beautiful music. -by Michael Ben Weber 10am class

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to the Disney Symposium Sunday night. I really enjoyed it although i wasn't quite sure i would. I liked how they had a screen playing above showing clips from each movie they were performing pieces from i also liked that they incorporated singing. I thought it would be jut band at first so that was a pleasant surprise.My favorite pieces would have to be the Little Mermaid pieces especially the Ursula scene, and my second favorite was the Frozen piece "Let it go!" Overall great performance, highly recommended

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to Nicole's honor's thesis and she did a wonderful job. She told me that all the hard work and research has paid off! And I think it definitely did

    Also, I sang in the choir for the gospel concert. It was so much fun to do a style of music that isn't done very often with a concert choir. Robert Ray's Gospel Mass was a great selection to prepare.

    The disney concert was also great fun. Being a percussionist, I got to run around in the back and play multiple instruments. I wish I could have seen the movie clips playing, but they also would have been distracting for us performers. It was wonderful to relive my childhood for a concert! My favorite pieces to play were Pirates of the Caribbean, Hunchback of Notre Dame, and the The Little Mermaid.

    The chamber and cats concert was also wonderful. The a'capella concert was very well put together and the pieces were executed beautifully. Laurelyn's piece was one of my favorites. So much talent for such a young composer! Brava!

    --Balie Albrecht

    ReplyDelete
  7. I played in the Jazz Band, i thought it was a blast, I also went to Dr. Fogderud's Tales of Life and Love, I then went to Nicole's Presentation on Leos Janacek and then The Choir concert and for the Grand Finale the Disney conert. More than any other the Disney Concert changed my life. the epic part in the Lion King made me want to jump up and play standing. also i really loved Nicole's presentation, i love czech music so that was an absolute treat to learn about the history of his life and his compositions.
    Carl Mathwig

    ReplyDelete